Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Pocket Baby Dolls

These little dolls were a creation that came about thru an exercise of simplicity. I wanted to make a fun little doll that was super easy to sew up and different from any of my other creations.

I've seen other handmade dolls with these cute little cheeks - I knew I wanted that feature. I wanted hair, but not felt, I've done that already and wanted to try something new. I also thought that if the arms and legs were made from the same pattern piece as the body, that would make finishing the doll even easier and faster. So, putting all that together, I came up with my Pocket Baby Doll pattern.

Now remember, these were supposed to be super easy - and they started out that way. ... I had a naked little baby doll that was essentially two pieces of fabric sewn together and some yarn for hair. Well, they aren't all that cute naked, so I decided that clothing was essential.

This was my first time to "design" a doll dress. I kept it simple. And I hope you'll agree, it made a huge difference!
I did spend quite a bit of time considering whether or not I had made the right decision to give them rectangle-ish heads, but I figured, "Why not?". I was looking for different when I started out, right?
I'm happy with the way my experiment turned out. They're still easy to make and still unique to the collection of dolls and patterns I've come up with so far.
If you'd like to make your own, you can find the pattern listed as "Pocket Baby Doll Pattern" in my etsy shop. http://www.fun4me.etsy.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment