Tuesday, July 14, 2009

The Ones Who Have No Face

I had this brilliant idea to make a plush with more of an abstract look to it. You know, thinking outside the box a bit. Well, in this vein, I made the two following bunny patterns.

The first of my bunnies with no face is my Doodle Bunny Pattern. This was my first "abstract" creation. I LOVE the look of this one.

She has long, curved ears and a big round tail. I thought, "A-ha! If I don't give it any arms or legs it will be easier, right?" Alas, I was still enamored by the look of doing the curved seams and having the back "fur" fabric come around as slivers to cut into the front patterned cotton fabric. But, as with my sweet Moopsie, it was too difficult for my experience level of the time.

So, I was back to the drawing board.

This is the final version of my Doodle Bunny pattern . It still has the same feel to it, but is a simpler design.

Thinking back on it, they were fun to design and fun to make, but that was when I decided that having all those curved seams was definitely not the way to go for me - regardless of how much I liked the way they looked.



The second of my bunnies without a face is my Love Bunny pattern. It's similar to the Moopsie in that the front fabric is cotton and the back fabric is "fur". Ahh, and also I shouldn't forget the nubby arms. While in the drawing stages, I tried a couple of other types of arms, but never found anything quite right. So, here he is with lots of love to give and little nubs to give hugs.

I did bust out of my norm a bit and give this guy some big bunny feet - which, I was quite impressed with myself about at the time.

I didn't design any curved seams on this one, but I tried to give him the same type of curvy body that I had done with my previous couple of patterns. He turned out pretty much as I'd had him pictured, but for some reason, those nubby arms still nag at me today.


Both of these patterns were "one hit wonders" for me so the written patterns don't have step-by-step photos to go along with them, but are still descriptive enough to give someone the directions needed to make their own. They are available at my etsy shop if you'd like to try them out for yourself: http://www.fun4me.etsy.com/.


So there they are. ... The ones who have no face. They both happen to be bunnies, but I'm convinced that was just coincidence. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment