Thursday, March 11, 2010

Sock Bunny - Free Tutorial

Spring is in the air! ... Well, some days it is. Some days it still feels like winter. But I stray from my point. ...

It's close enough to Spring that the lawn needs mowing! (How's that?) With Spring comes Easter and sweet little Easter Bunnies running around out in the yard hiding eggs for the young'uns to find.

I have been wanting to see what I could come up with in the way of a sock bunny for some time now and figured this would be the perfect time of year to share a free tutorial on making one.

I started with some socks I picked up a year ago and hadn't yet had a project for. They were green and brown with the "recycle" symbol on them. They were interesting and different from others I've seen so I kept them around to wait their turn to inspire me. It was these socks that I started with.

This is Lloyd, the Recycle Bunny. He is actually my second attempt at making a sock bunny. I'm too embarrassed to even post a pic of my first attempt, so anyway, poor Lloyd gets no mate. (Get it? Mate? You know, mate of a single sock as opposed to mate like a buddy or the love of his life. You know, I have to explain my little jokes a lot. You'd think someone who has to explain their attempts at humor would just give up, but not me, no, persistence, that's what I'm all about. And again, I stray ...)

Then when I was folding laundry (socks) the other day I thought how cute it would be to make a teeny one out of a baby sock. I went out the next day and found these sweet infant socks and made them into little sock bunnies too.

I call them Pinky and Pearl.

The size of the sock really makes a difference on how long their ears turned out. Lloyd has long floppy ears while Pinky and Pearl have cutesy little ears that stand up.

The two bunnies made from infant socks are small enough to fit into one of those plastic prize eggs - not the standard size, but one size up. The bunny made from an adult sock is about as big as my hand and a much better size for an Easter basket.


So there you have it. My Sock Bunny experience. Below is the free tutorial so you can make some up for your Spring activities. Just save this pic to your computer or print it out and you're on your way!


I'd love for you to make as many sock bunnies as you like for yourself or to give as gifts, but please do not make them and sell them or sell the pattern or any part of the pattern. Thank you!

1 comment:

  1. Cute! Just followed your blog! Recently updated our blog:

    http://tranquility-base-designs.blogspot.com/

    http://twitter.com/jammatun

    ReplyDelete