Monday, July 20, 2009

Socks, Socks and More Socks

I had so much fun making my Fun & Funky Sock Dolls that every time I went to the store, I would look to see what kind of socks they had that would make a cute doll. Well, I bought several pairs of socks in those days. I had a stack of them actually. One of the biggest contributing factors was that my first sock doll pattern only used one sock. - So not only did I have pairs of socks lying around, I had several single socks left over from using just the one to make a doll.

The problem was that I was done making dolls from my first pattern. And I'm the type of person who, when I'm done with something, I'm done with it. So, there was no going back to make more of the same dolls out of the stack of socks I had accumulated.

I knew I had to come up with something else to do with socks just to justify having bought so many.


Well, I tossed around several ideas of animals and dolls that I could try to make a new sock pattern for. What I came up with was to make a sleepy & awake sock doll. I'd seen this type of doll made before - just not from socks.


I figured that all I had to do was to give a sock two heels and I'd have the two faces - one asleep and one awake. It took some imagining, but I came up with a plan to cut the heel from one sock and attach it to another sock to create the look that I was going for.


It turned out to not be quite as complicated as I was giving myself credit for, but nonetheless, I had my sleepy and awake doll made out of socks. I gave them two different hair styles and two different dress styles and voila, all done.

These dolls were fun to make and still had the benefit of being all hand stitching - which for some reason seems to be relaxing for me. If you'd like to give them a try, you can find them in my etsy store http://www.fun4me.etsy.com/ listed as Sleepy/Awake Sock Dolls Tutorial.

No comments:

Post a Comment